By Kim Lifton
Wow Writing Workshop
Frequently, we learn our enduring life lessons during ordinary moments – the moments when our best and most authentic selves emerge. That’s why some of the best college essays we read focus on the most mundane moments.
- Two brothers on a bike ride through their neighborhood
- A talented dancer choosing to drop all but a few of her dance classes
- A boy and his sister stuck in traffic
- A high school junior trying out for the pom-pom team at her new school
- An aspiring baseball player watching his cousin take endless batting practice
Everyone has a story to tell
If more students (and parents!) would take some time to reflect and let those stories develop, the college essay wouldn’t seem like such a stumbling block. It does not need to be so daunting! Instead, look at it as the opportunity it is meant to be – a chance to tell people who may never meet you something compelling about you.
Want to learn more? You’ll find information on why we like mundane moments, why you need to think of every essay as an opportunity, topic versus subject, how to listen to your writing voice, and what it means to sound like a student, and not an adult, in our FREE ebook, How to Write an Effective College Application Essay, the Inside Scoop for Students.
Learn More about Wow
If you’re looking for more helpful resources while writing your college essay, Wow regularly holds free 60-minute student classes , where Kim Lifton answers more questions and shares her top tips. Learn more at wowwritingworkshop.com.